Thursday, April 19, 2012

Interview 1


Q: How long have you been affected with emphysema?

A: “I was diagnosed about ten years ago.  I’ve probably had it for longer but it was not diagnosed.  Over the years it has gotten worse, though.”

Q: How does emphysema affect your daily activities?

A: “It makes it very hard to walk.  I get out of breath very easily and have to stop in between to take breaks to catch my breath.”

Q: What treatments (if any) have doctors given you to help you during the day time?

A: I take Spiriva, it is a capsule with an inhaler, once per day.  Another medication I use is Xopenex, which is an inhalation aerosol that comes with the inhaler already attached to the medicine.  It is one piece, and I take 2 puffs as need every 8 hours.”

Q: Do you experience any side effects from these medications?

A: Nothing visible

Q: How does emphysema affect your sleeping habits?

A: “Well I can’t lie down flat, and I’m not supposed to lie on my back.”

Q: How do you deal with these problems?

A: “I sleep sitting upright on my couch and I sleep when I can.  I get up and walk around during the night, maybe play on the computer, and then go back to sleep.  Watching TV is always the best sleep medicine for me.”

Q: What treatments (if any) have doctors given you to help you sleep at night?

A: “The doctors have not given me any treatments for the night-time.”

Q: Do you feel like you feel well rested and like you get a good night’s sleep?

A: “Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It is definitely not as good as how I used to be able to sleep before the emphysema.”

Q: Do you feel like your sleeping habits negatively affect you during the day time, and if so, how?

A: “That’s a hard question, since the medications help during the day.  Sometimes I will take a nap during the day, but I’m not sure if that is a result of the COPD, the medications, or a combination of the two.”

Q: What would you like to see in a night-time solution?

A: “Well I don’t need oxygen tank like I know some people have to use.  I do have a wedge to keep me upright, but I find that it is not as comfortable as the couch.  I’d like to see someone come up with some sort of upright cubicle bed to keep me upright at night.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your personal state. I'm sure many people would come across this post and know what exactly it is to be going through COPD. stem cell for copd

    ReplyDelete